Skip to main content

A Tribute to Good Sportsmanship

I was watching the 2008 Summer Olympiccs and was cheering on swimmer Dara Torres. She had been getting a lot of notice because at the time she was 41 years old, had just had a child, and was in her 5th Olympics. I was a big fan of her guts, determination and just great attitude. I was rooting for her!

Before the race the commentators were talking about the chances of each swimmer. The swimmers start coming out of the locker room and Dara goes over to each swimmer and has a quick chat with them. She then heads over and has a chat with the official. Then she goes back to the other swimmers and heads off into the locker room again.

The announcers get all excited..."What's going on?" "Why is she talking to everyone?" "Where did she go?"

She comes back out and finishes getting her stuff together, or whatever swimmers do to prepare to race. A short time later another swimmer comes out of the dressing room. They all procede to the starting blocks and off they go!

I can't remember how Dara did in the race, because that wasn't that important to me when I found out what had happened....

The zipper on one of the swimmer's suits had broken . Dara came out and asked the swimmers NOT to get up on the starting blocks, so they could delay the start of the race. Apparently, once they get up on the blocks they have to start the race within a certain amount of time. She also told the official what they were up to. All so that the swimmer from the other country, her competitor, had time to put on another swim suit.

The last competitor came out of the dressing room, the racers went to their marks and the rest is history.

After the race the comentators talked to Dara and asked her why she did what she did.

Now this is the important part, so pay attention!

She said, and I'm paraphrasing.... "In the pool we are all competitive, but outside, we are all friends."

The commentator then asked her, why would you not take advantage of the situation. Dara responded that even at the Olympics, you want to know that you are the best of the best and that you didn't just win because of some one else's misfortune. She also said she hoped that someone would do the same for her, if she was in that situation.

How awesome is that! That is sportsmanship! That should be an example of how we see sports of all levels.

The sad thing is that this never really got any news coverage and yet this is amazing! Talk about the spirit of the Olympics.

So I am asking all of you, no matter what sport you do, or how competitive the workplace may get, we can be friends. We can help each other. We can cheer each other on, we can wish the best performance to everyone. We can still compete and let the best man (or woman) win... fair and square.

In the end, these are usually the people we spend a lot of time with, and who help shape our lives and our memories. Why not remember what really is important and leave the competition in the ring, or wherever you may compete.

I am very impressed with what Dara Torres did that day. She is an amazing athlete, and I am proud that she represented America!


Comments

  1. Love it! Great story, readable, and pertinent to everyone everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only more people could think and react that way, on all levels, in all of life's trials. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year...2018

Happy New Year! I really hate the idea of  New Year's Resolutions because they are meant to be broken. So I have decided to make a declaration of what I want to project going into the new year. This year its all about "Making a Difference." I think that is something we can all succeed at. We all can make a difference in the world by making a difference in how we look at things. How we  approach people, problems, stress, etc.. So I am determined to make a difference this year by starting with myself. I am going to start putting a bigger emphasis on what makes me happy. I am going to ride my own horses more, go to more horse shows and competitions, and do things that make me happy, like hanging with my friends and going to the movies. I am going to make a difference in my horses lives by spending more quality time with them. Groom them more thoroughly, trail ride more, just sit and be with them. I am going to make a difference with my students by putting mo

Quiet Fourth of July

One of my parents came to me shortly after the fourth of July and confessed she had “tried” to have a quiet Fourth of July holiday. They are the proud owners of a large hound dog. And when I say large, I mean large, with a howling bark that could wake the dead. Whenever I go over there to teach, the dogs starts bellowing until I go over and say hello. Then he’ll let me teach my lesson in reasonable silence. Blue is a great dog with a an even better set of lungs.             Kathy, the mom, being ex military runs her home like a well run machine. She marches her petite 5’2”  frame through life, keeping her two daughters and husband in line and on schedule.             With the 4 th of July coming up, she wisely went to her local vet to get some acepromazine, a mild animal sedative for Blue. She figured it would keep the dog from getting stressed out during the fireworks and keep the neighbors happy as well.             The 4 th finally arrives and in the early evening she